Skip to main content
Advice & Help

Which professional do I see when I have a new injury?

It’s a common question I’m asked by patients when they have a new injury. It can be very confusing who to see professionally when you’re in pain. Although I work alone, I have a network of colleagues to refer patients to for further input when there’s something I’m not quite sure about.
These are the professionals I recommend to patients and why:

  • Sports Doctor (A Consultant in Sports, Exercise and Musculoskeletal Medicine) – when I know the injury won’t need a surgical opinion but we need scans done, or for pain-reliving injections
  • Orthopaedic Surgeon – when I need an opinion on whether surgery is required for the injury. They will do scans as well.
  • Rheumatologist – when there’s suspicions that the injury may be influenced by a whole-body inflammatory condition. Specific bloods and scans are likely done.
  • Strength and Conditioning Coach/ Personal Trainer – when the patient needs overall fitness and strength advice to the help the injury. Likely relates to gym programming.
  • Podiatrist – when we think the foot is playing a large role in the injury, and we need expert advice on appropriate footwear as well as custom-made insoles.
  • Golf Swing Coach/ Golf Professional – when the swing is a cause of the injury, and we need expert input to alter the swing technique.
  • Sports Psychologist – to have techniques on how to manage sporting pressure better

If you need advice for any of these services, feel free to contact me directly on